Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Will You Do: I Pledge To Not Take Advice From Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher

I pledge to be a great mother.

I pledge to be a great father.

So promise two celebrities in a video put out by Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher. The video is a four minute montage of celebrities of various fame announcing the actions they pledge to take, now that Obama's the president.

Apparently heeding Obama's myriad calls to service, these A-, B-, and C-list actors, athletes, and musicians prattle off a laundry list of things they promise to do, now that Obama's in office, in order to make this a better world -- things they probably should have been doing anyway.

Such as, being a "great mother" or "great father."

Does this mean that these two glitterati wouldn't try to be the best parent possible if McCain got elected? Are you serious? Looking into the eyes of your child is not enough to make you want to be a better parent, but looking into to Obama's eyes does?

More "inspiring" promises from the cast:

I pledge to consider myself an American, not an African-American. It's pretty sad that on Monday you would not call yourself an American.

I pledge to never give the finger to anyone when I am driving again. Yeah, that will help...

I pledge to be a better mentor to my sisters. Again, why haven't you been doing this all along?

I pledge to plant 500 trees this year. Yeah, I can see Eva Longoria out there with a shovel on her knees in the dirt, positioning a dutch elm.

To no longer use the plastic bags at the grocery store. Again, I hardly think any of these people spend much time at the Piggly-Wiggly.

I'll drink less bottled water! And more alcohol from a glass bottle?

However, in this four-minute Obama love-fest, I don't think I heard in there the ultimate pledge:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."
Oddly missing from the video.

If all of these commitments are so important and essential for us "so that we are on this planet forever," why did these people wait so long? Why did it take the election of Barack Obama for them to do the right thing.

If these things are so important, then why not work towards these goals when President Bush was in office? Because he didn't ask?

This nation is not about one man, one ruler. But don't tell these people that:

I pledge to be a servant to our president. Truly scary. No one should promise fealty to any elected official in this country.

Most fitting, though, is the following from one of the illuminati:
I pledge to find the humor in everything.

Well, this video is a good place to start -- 'cause its gotta be a joke.

No comments: