Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Kid Owes Nothing to Obama

In his tepid and cliched speech to school kids today, President Obama summed up his message by implying that because he is trying to fix up the schools, our kids owe the president their best effort in school.

I'm working hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books, equipment and computers you need to learn. But you've got to do your part too.

So I expect you to get serious this year. I expect you to put your best effort into everything you do. I expect great things from each of you.

Who is this guy to expect anything from my kid? It is as appropriate as a neighbor seeing my son walk to school and saying I expect you to do well in school. After all, I am paying taxes to support your education.

Mr. President, you work for us; not the other way around. You do not have the authority to expect my kid to work hard. It is my kid's job, my job, and his teacher's job to demand excellence. It isn't your place to tell my son what to do.

No comments: