Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Obama: I Hope the Congress Doesn't Do What I Did

In his introduction of Sonia Sotomayor, the president asked congress to act in a bipartisan fashion and support his nominee.

Unlike what Obama himself did in 2005:
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Judge Roberts is qualified to sit on the highest court in the land. Moreover, he seems to have the comportment and the temperament that makes for a good judge. He is humble, he is personally decent, and he appears to be respectful of different points of view.
However:
The bottom line is this: I will be voting against John Roberts' nomination.
Why:
I ultimately have to give more weight to his deeds and the overarching political philosophy that he appears to have shared with those in power...
Obama voted against a "qualified" nominee solely for political reasons.

Sounds like a bipartisan decision to me.

No comments: