Monday, March 30, 2009

President Obama: Just Call Me Mr. Goodwrench

President Obama always seems to go at least one step to far.
  • We need the economic stimulus package immediately or countless people will lose their jobs, he told us. But then went on vacation and sign the passed bill when he got back.
  • We'll bailout AIG; the security of the nation depends upon it, he said. But, dammit, what's with their honoring legally binding contracts??
  • We will send more troops into Afghanistan in order to step up efforts to defeat the terrorists, he steamed. But, only after we try to make nice with the "good" Taliban.
Now, he wants to play Mr. Goodwrench when it comes to bailing out Chrysler and General Motors.

In remarks today, President Obama outlined his plan to save GM and Chrysler through a number of measures that on the surface make sense. I found myself thinking that he finally got something right. Then:
If you buy a car from Chrysler or General Motors, you will be able to get your car serviced and repaired, just like always. Your warranty will be safe. In fact, it will be safer than it’s ever been, because starting today, the United States government will stand behind your warranty.
Isn't that what the local muffler shop writes on the sign out front to draw your business? We honor all warranties?

So, if I buy a Chrysler (and god only know why I would) and Chrysler goes belly up, if I bring my car to Sam's repair shop on Elm Street, the government will pick up the tab? That won't lead to too much fraud.

Customer: I think I need some gas.

Sam: Yeah, I'll get to it after I replace your entire exhaust system, set you up with some new brakes, and that O2 sensor has got to go.

Customer: But, I just need gas...

Sam:...and a new fuel pump and fuel injection system too, from the looks.

Customer: But my car is brand new -- still under warranty.

Sam: Exactly!


I predict a marked increase in the warranty work done on GM and Chrysler cars, if this happens.

I understand the motive behind the move, but can't imagine the move swaying too many people. If you were considering a Chrysler (after getting your head examined), knowing that Obama will change your oil for you might get you down to the showroom; but if you were looking at that Honda, thinking that Raum Emmanuel will check the pressure in your tires won't move you an inch.

No comments: